I am a playlist obsessor. I have this weird compulsion with themes when it comes to music. If I do not make themed playlists I will end up listening to the same few songs over and over. A fun thing about my iTunes is all the random, colorful names I have for various playlists. I am convinced I was dropped on the head repeatedly as a child. I am absolutely sure of it. Here are some of interesting playlist names in my iTunes:
- “What the hell are they saying?” – This is a playlist of all foreign music. It contains artists such as Fela Kuti, Les Nubians, and Selena. I have no idea what they are talking about, but the music goes hella hard!
- “Mary J. Blige Songs I Actually Like” – self explanatory, after the “Mary” album things got sketchy. Just saying.
- “Phonte and ‘Nem” – This is my glorious playlist with every Little Brother, Foreign Exchange, Hall of Justus, Phonte, Zo!, 9th Wonder song ever made. I am so North Carolina.
- “Annoyingly Cheerful” – Every chipper, high energy, and cheeseball song in my music library is featured on theis playlist. It incudes such tunes as:
- “Make it Happen” – Mariah Carey
- “Dream on Dreamer” – Brand New Heavies
- “Best Friend” – Brandy
- “Alright” – Ledisi
- “Tightrope” - Janelle Monae
- “Ignorant Sh*t” is the best playlist of them all! This contains such class act songs as:
- “MuhFucka” – Redman
- “How About Some Hardcore” – M.O.P.
- “Brooklyn Zoo” – Ol’ Dirty Bastard
- “Dog Sh*t” – Wu Tang Clan
- “Throw Ya Guns” – Onyx
Impressed aren’t ya? You should be.
I also am a playist masochist. When I get sad do I throw on the “Annoyingly Cheerful” or “Ignorant Sh*t” list? Of course not. I throw on the “Let’s Get Sad!” playlist.
Sometimes when you are going through something you need time to wallow in your sorrows and get a good cry. Well, thse selections from that playlist get the job done every time. Enjoy, well maybe don’t enjoy, get sad. Or something. I digress. This highly uplifting list contains :
- “Good Mourning” – india.arie
- “Heartless” – Kanye West
- “When Will You Call” – Bilal
- “Song Cry” – Jay-Z
- “Living All Alone” – Phyllis Hyman